UI Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship
University of Iowa
Department of Anesthesia
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242-1079
Phone: (319) 384-9683
Fax: (319) 356-2940
DEO: Cynthia Wong, M.D.
Fellowship Director: Martin Mueller, M.D.
Number of Fellowships: 1
Salary: $63,400 (2017-2018)
- Applicants must have completed a 4-year ACGME-approved Anesthesia residency.
- Board eligible or board certified in Anesthesia.
- Must be able to apply successfully for an Iowa state medical license.
- For the 2018 appointment year (fellowship begins on July 1, 2018), applicants should submit their application through ERAS – ERAS for Fellowship Applicants. Applicants can begin applying to December cycle ACGME fellowship programs, which applies to Pediatric Anesthesia, on December 1, 2016. Thru ERAS, you will submit your:
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- In place of a personal statement on the ERAS application, applicants should answer question #1 and 2 of question #2 – see Society for Pediatric Anesthesia’s instructions.
- ERAS application
- Letter of reference from Anesthesia residency program director
- Two additional letters of reference from either pediatric anesthesia faculty, other anesthesia faculty, or the Anesthesia Chair.
- USMLE Step 1, 2 and 3 scores
- Copy of ECFMG certificate (applies to international medical graduates only)
- Medical school Dean’s letter (MSPE-medical school performance evaluation)
- Fellowship applicants must register with the NRMP http://www.nrmp.org/ starting in June 2017. Match day occurs in mid-October 2017, with the fellowship beginning on July 1, 2018.
- Applicants should email their ABA Basic Exam report and ABA In-Training Exam scores as a CA-1. Once the CA-2 ITE report is available, please email that to the fellowship coordinator as well. See Society for Pediatric Anesthesia’s instructions.
- Following review of a completed application and all supplemental documents, applicants may be offered an on-site interview.
- Deadline for submitting applications is May 31, 2017. Late applications may be considered.
- For additional information about the fellowship program, contact:
Sharon Doak, M.B.A.
Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Anesthesia
University of Iowa Health Care
200 Hawkins Drive, 6-JCP
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1079
Pediatric Anesthesia Faculty
- Thomas Long, M.D., Clinical Professor, Pediatric Anesthesia Division Chief
- Martin Mueller, M.D., Associate Professor; Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship Program Director
- Nathan Blair, M.D., Associate
- James Choi, M.D., Assistant Dean, Carver College of Medicine, Office of Student Affairs and Curriculum
- Vipul Dhumak, M.D., Associate
- Robert Forbes, M.D., Professor
- Denisa Haret, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Katherine Keech, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Lauren Partyka, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Sarah Titler, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Brittany Willer, M.D., Associate
Our program provides clinical services for all pediatric surgical specialties, including neuro, cardiac, and burns. Last year over 6500 anesthetics were performed on infants and children. The fellowship includes rotations in general pediatrics, cardiac/thoracic, pain/regional, PICU, PACU, and Sedation. Academic time during the fellowship incorporates dedicated time to complete a scholarly project to be presented at the SPA (Society for Pediatric Anesthesia) meeting http://www.pedsanesthesia.org/ or another appropriate meeting and/or to be published.
The Pediatric Anesthesia fellowship is a one-year fellowship accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Fellowship Required Rotations
- Operating Rooms Pediatric Anesthesia 6.5 months. The majority of the fellowship year consists of clinical anesthesia for general pediatric surgeries, pediatric neuroanesthesia surgeries, or pediatric cases in the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC).
- Pediatric Thoracic/Cardiac Anesthesia 2 months
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) 1 month. During this required rotation, the fellow will focus on intensive care management of pediatric patients.
- Pediatric Pain Regional Anesthesia 1 month
- Pediatric Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) 2 weeks
- Pediatric Sedation 1 week
- Academic Project/Scholarly Activity Meeting Time 3 weeks
Fellowship Elective Rotations
Elective rotations are taken in two-week blocks for a maximum of 4 weeks of elective time. Pediatric anesthesia electives can include: cardiac/thoracic, PICU, Acute Pain Service and Regional Anesthesia, Sedation, general pediatrics, ASC, neuroanesthesia or PIP (Pediatric Independent Practice).
University of Iowa Childrens Hospital
The 8 state-of-the-art operating rooms in the new University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital will open sometime in April 2017. Please visit http://www.uichildrens.org/Default.aspx