UI Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship
University of Iowa Department of Anesthesia
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242-1079
Phone: (319) 356-7205
Fax: (319) 356-2940
DEO: Cynthia Wong, M.D.
Fellowship Director: Alan Ross, M.D.
Number of Fellowships: 1
- For applying to the Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia fellowship here at Iowa, we are using SF Matchs Central Application Service (CAS). As an applicant, you are required to submit an online CAS application and 3 letters of reference. For more information, see SF Match for Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship
- Send directly to the fellowship coordinator your CV, USMLE score sheets (Step 1, Step 2, Step 3) and ABA In-Training Exam scores (as a CA-1).
- Following review of a completed SF Match CAS application, CV, personal statement, USMLE scores, ITE scores, and three letters of recommendation, an interview will be considered.
- For additional information about the Fellowship Program contact:
Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Anesthesia
University of Iowa Health Care
200 Hawkins Drive, 6-JCP
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1079
Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Faculty
- Javier Campos, M.D., Professor; Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs, Executive Medical Director of Main Operating Rooms, Director of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia
- Satoshi Hanada, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor
- Sundar Krishnan, M.B.B.S., Clinical Assistant Professor
- David Papworth, M.B.B.S., FRCA, FRCPC, Clinical Associate Professor; Director, Departmental Performance Improvement
- Srinivasan Rajagopal, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor; Co-Director, Anesthesia Equipment
- Alan Ross, M.D., Associate Professor, Program Director, Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship
- Ken-ichi Ueda, M.D., Clinical Assistant Professor; Co-Director, Anesthesia Equipment
- Dionne Peacher, MD - Associate
- Andrew Feider, MD – Clinical Associate Professor
- Sudhakar Subramani, MD – Associate
- Archit Sharma, MD - Associate
The Cardiothoracic Anesthesia faculty division oversees approximately 350 adult cardiac cases, 100 pediatric complex congenital heart disease cases, and 450 thoracic cases per year, as well as the robotic minimally invasive program. In addition, the vascular anesthesia program consists of approximately 500 cases, including the interventional cardiovascular program. Each year the department assists in 20 heart transplants and 15 lung transplants.
The Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesia fellowship is a one-year fellowship which was accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) effective July 1, 2012.
Fellowship Required Rotations
- Main Operating Rooms Cardiothoracic Anesthesia - 9 months. The majority of the fellowship year consists of clinical anesthesia for cardiac and thoracic surgeries.The case-mix is approximately 80% adult, 20% pediatric.
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit 1 month. During this one-month required rotation, the fellow will focus on post-operative intensive care of adult cardiac and thoracic patients in the CVICU.
Fellowship Elective Rotations
Elective rotations are taken in two-week segments for a maximum of 8 weeks of elective time. Popular electives have included: adult echocardiography, pediatric echocardiography, regional anesthesia, and perfusion. Elective time could involve additional experience in intensive care or a research project.It is possible to take all 8 weeks in a single elective rotation such as echocardiography.
Clinical research opportunities are available in cardiac and thoracic anesthesia. Contact Dr. Javier Campos for more information: email@example.com